*First settled in the early 1860s
*Home to River Region Cancer Screening Center
*Convenient to the plantations of River Road
*Home to The Cajun Village
Sorrento is a small municipality located in the southern portion of Ascension Parish, Louisiana. The land is located in a swampy region thirty miles south of Baton Rouge and fifty miles north of New Orleans.
The first settlers of Sorrento were the Desire’ LeBLanc family from St. James Parish. Desire’ was a descendant of the French Acadians who came to south Louisiana from 1770 and 1790. This family left St. James Parish and came to this area and settled on the banks of Conway Bayou in the early 1860s.
With less than 1,000 residents, Sorrento was incorporated as a village on the 11th day of September, 1956 by proclamation of the governor. In 1963, with at least 1,000 residents, Sorrento was re-classified as a town.
Sorrento was first known as Conway before being renamed in 1909. The town received it’s name from William Edenborn, a German immigrant who built the railroad through the region. He named the town Sorrento after the city in Italy where he took his bride for their honeymoon.
To find out more about our Town, we are here to serve you! Please contact us using the information below.